Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Liberty Enlightening the World
















If you are at all confused by the title of this post, don't be. "Liberty Enlightening the World" is simply the actual name of the Statue of Liberty given to it by its sculptor, Frederic Bartholdi. As you can tell by my short history lesson, I had fun seeing and learning about the Statue of Liberty. However, I did a lot more during my weekend in New York City besides visiting Lady Liberty. I was enamored by Picasso's works on display in the Metropolitan Museum of Arts, I was entertained by the Broadway performances of The Phantom of the Opera and Fences, I was amazed as I looked out over Manhattan from the top of the Empire State Building, and I was thrilled to spend some quality time with my parents. Needless to say, I had a great vacation in New York City! Of course the coolest thing about New York was the 2010 Pauletta and Denzel Washington Family Gifted Scholar in Neurosciences Award ceremony. The ceremony was held at Harlem Village Academy, an excellent public charter school in Harlem, in order to inspire the students to consider science and medicine as a potential career and to encourage them to apply to this program in the future. Before the ceremony I had the opportunity to meet many interesting people including Dr. Black and Mr. and Mrs. Washington! Mr. and Mrs. Washington are two of the most generous, humble, kind, and down to earth people you could ever meet. I had a lot of fun talking to them and taking pictures with them. I am so blessed to have met Pauletta and Denzel Washington, and I will be forever grateful for their investment in my future (Oh and Denzel said he really liked my Wofford tie!!!). As you can see, I had the weekend of a lifetime! Currently, I am back in L.A. where I am continuing to learn new research techniques. More soon...




No comments:

Post a Comment